The Grand Portage Reservation is at the northeastern tip of Minnesota. The Air Quality Program has many ongoing projects in order to maintain healthy indoor and outdoor air. These projects include monitoring for regional haze and particulate matter, indoor air quality, invasive plant removal, public outreach, environmental education, alternative energy, and climate change.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Orchids Are Blooming!


The weather in Grand Portage has suddenly switched to summer, and the spring flowers are giving way to the summer flowers. One sign of this that I watch for is a patch of yellow lady's slippers (Cypripedium calceolus) on the old highway. This is one of the forty two species of orchid that are found in Minnesota, and one of the most beautiful.

The majority of Minnesota orchids are small and inconspicuous, and most of us pass them by without notice. I recently found a tiny patch of early coral root (Corallorhiza trifida) on the edge of my lawn that I must have passed dozens of times without seeing. I would provide a picture of them, but they had already finished blooming - maybe next spring now that I know where to look.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Awesome photo.

Stuart said...

Thank you! I took several photos of both individual flowers and groups of them but this is the one I liked the best.