EPA and the Surgeon General recommend that every home should be tested for Radon. Radon is the leading cause of lung cancer in non-smokers and the second leading cause in smokers. It is estimated to cause 20,000 lung cancer deaths each year.
Radon is a radioactive gas that is odorless and tasteless. It is released from natural decay in the soil, and it enters homes through cracks in foundations and floors that are too small to see. Radon gas can be in one home and not the next, so you cannot predict whether your home will have elevated levels of Radon in it. You must get your house tested to be sure. You can buy a kit from the Minnesota Radon website, and it is an easy test and costs only $6.95. The maximum level of Radon in a building is 4 pCi/L. If you have Radon above this level, fixing it can be easy and inexpensive.
If you would like some help with the testing, give me a call at 475-2027 or stop by my office at Trust Lands.
Pic from: http://www.epa.gov/radon/images/citguid3